Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Saturday, March 9, 2013

"The Colour of Shadows" by Colm Toibin

"The Colour of Shadows" by Colm Toibin (2011, 19 pages)


March 1 to March 31
Colm Toibin


Ways to Participate-do a post on your blog and let me know about it-I will keep a master list and I will publicize your post and blog.


If you are an Irish author and would like to be featured, please contact me.   There are several options open.



If you would like to do a guest post on my blog on anything related to Irish short stories, contact me.



I have posted on a number of works by Colm Toibin (1955).   I have read three of his novels including BrooklynThe Masterand The Testament of Mary.   I have also read his short non-fiction work on Lady Gregory and his amazing short story based on her,  "Silence".   Last year during ISSM2 I posted on his great short story collection, Mothers and Sons.  I have also read prefaces and introductions he has written for classic novels.  



"The Colour of Shadows" (from his collection of short stories, "The Empty Family") is a powerful story about a subject most of us would very much prefer not to think about, putting our family members in a nursing home.  Paul's mother deserted the family when he was very young.   He barely remembers her but he knows people said "she drank".   He  was raised by the sister in law of his mother.   She was not rich by any means but she made sure he had all she needed and saw to him getting a science degree from University College Dublin.   He gets a call at work one day saying she has fallen at home.   Her nurse tells him she cannot live alone anymore.   He has no choice but to put her in a nursing home.   I do not wish to retell the plot.   It is a really brilliant account of what it is like to visit a fading loved parent (which is what she was to him) in a nursing home.   The account of the visits to the home are totally perfect.   There are subplots involving his mother who is still alive and somewhere in the area and his own sexuality.   This is a great short story

Mel u







No comments: