Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"The Secret of the Two Plaster Casts" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

"The Secret of the Two Plaster Casts" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1861, 12 pages)


March 1 to March 31

Daddy Sheridan Rules!- Carmilla



No promises but maybe this change can be permanent, away from the total tedium normally found on The Reading Life.    Mel knows if I quit the reading life, both of his readers will leave his blog so he gives into my demands, especially after some nice Belladonna Tea.

I am among the undead but I know humans are concerned about it, I know it is a big thing in Irish literature.  I mean there is even, I heard from Rory, a short story called "The Dead" that some people thing is decent.  My people were here when St Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland and we will be here when it is forgotten.   I do know an execution by the Romans plays a large part in the religion and I have seen lots of paintings and carvings of the crucifiction of Jesus. 

Carmilla, you will never
get away with this-
Rory
One thing you need to know about my Daddy, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1814 to 1873 - Dublin)  is that he wrote a really lot of stuff, nearly 6000 pages at least.  Some of it is really great, the best being, of course, Carmilla, and some were written in a big hurry to get money.  Academics like to talk about his work as making a commentary on Catholicism and I will leave that to them.  


"Maybe it is time for me to
come back"-  Eaadan
This story involves two male friends, one a doctor, arguing about how Jesus is depicted in art.  One of them says there is no way a person nailed to a cross could have the posture that Jesus is shown having.  They conspire with a hangman to take a just executed body, nail it up on a cross, and make a plaster cast of how it looks.  There is a scary moment when the dead man seems to come back to life.  
"My vote is for Eaadan as the new
hostess"-Rupprecht



No comments: