Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers 1946

“Listen,” F. Jasmine said. “What I’ve been trying to say is this. Doesn’t it strike you as strange that I am I, and you are you? I am F. Jasmine Addams. And you are Berenice Sadie Brown. And we can look at each other, and touch each other, and stay together year in and year out in the same room. Yet always I am I, and you are you. And I can’t ever be anything else but me, and you can ever be anything else but you. Have you ever thought of that? And does it seem to you strange? ” 



Carson McCullers is most famous for her southern Gothic coming of age novel, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.  I think her shorter novel, A Member of the Wedding is in second place.  I really enjoyed them both.  McCuller is a master at bringing forth the state of mind of alienated adolescents, especially girls. I think her work is very American, rooted in a time and place where race concerns were paramount.  Her work needs no praise from me.

I want to advise my readers against buying  the Kindle edition of the book below.


This is a very poorly done Kindle edition.  I understand when books are turned into kindle editions via some OCR scanning programs it produces errors.  This book is full of them and it is clear the publisher did not have anyone look the text over before putting it on the market. There is also no clickable table of contents.  

To me this shows contempt for both Carson McCullers and readers.  

I really liked the stories in this collection.  





No comments: