Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin (1813)




Around 1960 or so in The Lifetime Reading Plan by Clifton Fadiman I first was made aware I needed to read Jane Austin's Pride and Predjudice.  I remembered trying it then but I was not ready for it yet.  The most recent time I read a glowing endorsement of the book was in Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose, published in 2014.  Many book bloggers say it is their favorite novel of all time.  

I am so glad I have at long last read this wonderful book.

Which Austin novel should I Read next?

Who is your favorite sister?

Best match? 

Mel u

3 comments:

Suko said...

Mel, I'm glad you enjoyed this classic novel by Jane Austen. I'll bet you would enjoy a movie version as well. As for your next Austen novel, you could choose Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Lady Susan (a short epistolary novel), or one of many Austen-inspired, humorous contemporary novels.

Anna said...

I'm so glad you were able to read it finally and that you enjoyed it! Jane Austen is my favorite, so of course, I enjoyed all of her novels. But after p&P, my favorites are Persuasion and Emma. Northanger Abbey is great and pokes fun at Gothic novels. And I agree with Suko about Lady Susan, that's a fun read as well.

Mel u said...

Suko. I have begun Sense and Sensibility. In fact years ago I posted on a funny risqué version of Pride and Predjudice.

Anne. I see as a reasonable 2015 goal finishing all five remaining Austin novels. Thanks for your visit and ideas.