Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Sunday, July 9, 2017

A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time (2017, published by New Vessel Press)



New Vessel Press is offering an A R C to all Paris in July Participants.  Just contact them on the website at the close of this post if you are interested











So far as my participation in Paris In July Year Ten I have read 


1.  Colette- Two Early Short Stories
2. The Black Notebook by Patrick Modiano 
3. "A Duel" by Guy de Maupassant ( A Franco-Prussian War Story)
4. Life, Death, and Betrayal at The Hotel Ritz in Paris by Tilar Mazzeo (non fiction)
5. How the French Invented Love by Marilyn Yolem (literary history)
6. "The Lost Child" by Francois Coppée 
7. "The Juggler of Norte Dame" by Anatole France- no post

Today I want to let my readers and event participants know of an outstanding collection of French Short Stories with Christmas themes.  It includes stories by classic writers such as Francois Coppée (two stories), I have already posted upon his very moving story included in the anthology "The Lost Child".  Guy de Maupassant, one of the masters of the form is included , as is the early 20th century Alphonse Drudet and the Nobel Prize Winning Anatole France.  I was delighted to see the collection close with a story by one of my favorite writers, the great Irene Nemirovsky.
There are also stories by contemporary writers new to me.  

I think anyone who likes moving short stories will enjoy this wonderful collection.

This book was published by New Vessel Press (newvessalpress.com).  They offer a very interesting and diverse collection of fiction and non-fiction.  There are several French authored set in a Paris works perfect for July in Paris.

Mel u
The Reading Life
Rereadinglives.blogspot.com



2 comments:

Esme said...

I have just starting reading short stories and will be adding these to my list. I love discovering new authors.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful sounding collection of short stories. I love holiday stories, although I'm never so good with short stories as full books but these might well be worth a look!